10 Year Anniversary: 1996 - 2006
2006 was my website's 10 year
anniversary. I don't have a record of what day exactly my first
webpage went up on Primenet.com in Toledo, Ohio but by 21 Nov 1996 I
had enough online that I was tracking my changes. My site must have
begun significantly before that date - maybe even in 1995. Even after
the tremendous changes over the years there are still a few
rappelling and some skydiving pics from the last millenium.
I have some old backups of previous versions of my website, and the oldest is now linked below.
A short history
- sometime in 1995-1996 I put up my first webpage www.primenet.com/~big_g.
- Feb 1998 I put my resume online (OMG my resume's HTML is ancient 1998 stuff)
- Oct 1998 A totally rebuilt version 2 released using frames (known colloquially as Big Green).
- 1999 domain name switch to BigG.penguinpowered.com
- 1999 rapid growth as I added more and more rappelling, canoeing, 4x4, and backpacking stuff.
- 2000 Bernie and Brian transcribe my AT journal
- 2001 domain name switch to www.slackdom.net / BigG.slackdom.net
- Version 2 (4 July 2001) of BigG.slackdom.net archived here
- Aug 2001 version 3 (this wooden desk and notebook version) goes live! Wow, 5 years!
- Sep 2001 Finally bought a 3.2 MP digital camera (which I still use occasionally!) and the first barrage of photos go online.
- 2001 domain name switch to www.restlessadventurer.net
- Apr 2002 Moved from sucky Earthlink to Speakeasy.net
- May 2002 Disk crash and a restore from an old backup. Boo!
- Aug 2002 Laid off from JonesKnowledge. Now no work to get in the way of my adventures!
- 2002 - 2005 GBs of new content from all over the world.
- May 2004 Major hosting problems while I'm in Ecuador; I have to slowly upload site from South America over the next couple months. Mailed some CDs of data to Queen in California to upload for me to her server where I still am.
- Sep 2004 still finding lost content to upload.
- Apr/May 2005 My Miscellaneous section is reformatted into a travel section.
- June 2005 reformatted caving section.
- 2005 started taking older stuff offline
- 2006 housecleaning. Remove watersports, link to 4x4 stuff from travel page, reformat gun page.
- Dec 2006 version 3.5 mostly finished except for some polish.
I can't imagine what will happen over the next 10 years.
: date(): It is not safe to rely on the system's timezone settings. You are *required* to use the date.timezone setting or the date_default_timezone_set() function. In case you used any of those methods and you are still getting this warning, you most likely misspelled the timezone identifier. We selected the timezone 'UTC' for now, but please set date.timezone to select your timezone. in /home/restlessadva/public_html/include/stdBigG.php
on line 309