10 Year Anniversary: 1996 - 2006
2006 was my website's 10 year
anniversary. I don't have a record of what day exactly my first
webpage went up on Primenet.com in Toledo, Ohio but by 21 Nov 1996 I
had enough online that I was tracking my changes. My site must have
begun significantly before that date - maybe even in 1995. Even after
the tremendous changes over the years there are still a few
rappelling and some skydiving pics from the last millenium.
I have some old backups of previous versions of my website, and the oldest is now linked below.
A short history
- sometime in 1995-1996 I put up my first webpage www.primenet.com/~big_g.
- Feb 1998 I put my resume online (OMG my resume's HTML is ancient 1998 stuff)
- Oct 1998 A totally rebuilt version 2 released using frames (known colloquially as Big Green).
- 1999 domain name switch to BigG.penguinpowered.com
- 1999 rapid growth as I added more and more rappelling, canoeing, 4x4, and backpacking stuff.
- 2000 Bernie and Brian transcribe my AT journal
- 2001 domain name switch to www.slackdom.net / BigG.slackdom.net
- Version 2 (4 July 2001) of BigG.slackdom.net archived here
- Aug 2001 version 3 (this wooden desk and notebook version) goes live! Wow, 5 years!
- Sep 2001 Finally bought a 3.2 MP digital camera (which I still use occasionally!) and the first barrage of photos go online.
- 2001 domain name switch to www.restlessadventurer.net
- Apr 2002 Moved from sucky Earthlink to Speakeasy.net
- May 2002 Disk crash and a restore from an old backup. Boo!
- Aug 2002 Laid off from JonesKnowledge. Now no work to get in the way of my adventures!
- 2002 - 2005 GBs of new content from all over the world.
- May 2004 Major hosting problems while I'm in Ecuador; I have to slowly upload site from South America over the next couple months. Mailed some CDs of data to Queen in California to upload for me to her server where I still am.
- Sep 2004 still finding lost content to upload.
- Apr/May 2005 My Miscellaneous section is reformatted into a travel section.
- June 2005 reformatted caving section.
- 2005 started taking older stuff offline
- 2006 housecleaning. Remove watersports, link to 4x4 stuff from travel page, reformat gun page.
- Dec 2006 version 3.5 mostly finished except for some polish.
I can't imagine what will happen over the next 10 years.